Preaload Image

Work in Australia

Are you an international student looking to work in Australia? If you are the holder of a student visa, then you can undertake employment while in Australia, provided you only start to work after your course has started. Student visa holders can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while their course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of their course of study or training) and they can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. Family members of students are not allowed to work until the student begins their course. They are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times. For more information please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Students who undertake paid work in Australia will also need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) and complete an income tax return at the end of each financial year. For further information, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.

Note: Please remember when leaving Australia to lodge a tax return to get your Tax back, Check your superannuation account and you OSHC policy for a refund. 

Studying at EGI is more than just a classroom experience. Besides providing valuable income a job can provide students with a lot of useful experience outside their college and home life. If you are on a Student Visa you can legally work 40 hours in a fortnight (2 weeks) during term times and unlimited hours during college breaks and holidays. Remember, it is important to read and comply with the work conditions on your student visa.

A few things to remember if you plan to work in Australia:

  • English is not your first language, so you must be realistic about the kinds of jobs you can expect to get.
  • The less English you have the less choice you will have in jobs.
  • Do not expect to earn a big salary.
  • The legal minimum wage for a full or part-time employee is $17.29 per hour before tax.
  • The legal minimum for casual work should be at least 25% more than the minimum wage.
  • For information on your rights as a worker visit Fair Work OMBUDSMAN website.
  • If you want to find a job you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) and complete an Income Tax Return at the end of each financial year. For further information, please refer to Australian Taxation Office website.
  • If you work for cash in hand and do not pay tax you will not be covered for compensation if you are hurt at work.

Typical jobs that you can find:

  • Waiter/waitress in restaurants
  • Coffee maker/assistant in cafes
  • Dishwasher in cafes/restaurants/hotels
  • Hotel work/cleaning
  • Night work in supermarkets
  • Kitchen work in restaurants
  • Nanny work with Australian families
  • Office administration
  • Office cleaning at nights
  • Security work (with a certificate)

Work Help Workshops

  • Australian Workplace Culture
  • Cover letters, resumes and making an appointment
  • Hospitality English
  • Presentation and interview skills
  • Job search skills

EGI offer many other free workshops.